Eggnog is an iconic and festive Christmas morning drink. It often pairs well with the cold weather and can be made even better as a latte.
But how does one even begin to turn eggnog into a latte? You might be scratching your head over the technicalities, or even searching through your local coffee shop for the drink.
You don’t need to take a stab in the dark because I have done it for you. Here’s an easy recipe for a homemade eggnog latte. Let’s begin.
Table of Contents
|Serving Size:||1 Cup (16 oz)|
Ingredients and Equipment
|2 teaspoons Folgers Classic Roast Coffee|
4 oz of Eggnog
A teaspoon of Sugar
A cup of whole milk
|Recommended: Folgers Classic Roast Coffee|
Step-by-Step Preparation Procedure
Now that the formalities and pre-preparation are sorted out, we can start having some real fun. Make sure you have everything you need as you assemble your iced eggnog latte step by step.
Step 1: Introduce Your Instant Coffee
This recipe builds on two teaspoons of instant coffee. I recommend Folgers if you can get your hands on it, but any light roast instant coffee blend will do.
Choose the right cup for your drink, one more than capable of containing all the ingredients you’re about to use. Introduce the two teapoons of coffee at the bottom of this cup.
Add a teaspoon of sugar, or to taste. Try not to add too much, or the drink might be too sweet when all is said and done. Use your discretion.
You could also use coffee from an espresso machine, but instant coffee is more than sufficient.
Step 2: Create the Foamy Latte Base
This next step will require a whisk or milk frother. Start by pouring a little warm water into the cup. Pour enough to mix the coffee and sugar properly.
Grab the whisk and work your way up from the bottom of the cup. The circular blade will agitate the coffee mixture, drawing out all the flavors you want in your latte.
You should see a rich but light foam forming atop the liquid.
Keep at it until the foam reaches just under the halfway mark. You should have a good base for our delicious coffee drink if you execute the steps properly.
Step 3: Add the Eggnog and Milk
It is time to introduce the star of the show. You do not have to use a lot of eggnog to bring out those key flavor notes in the drink. 4 oz of eggnog should be the perfect amount.
Set your tumbler of eggnog to the side and grab three ice cubes from the fridge. Carefully add the cubes atop the coffee foam, and then pour your eggnog on top.
Take your glass of whole milk and slowly pour it in until the coffee foam escapes the glass’s lid. As you introduce the milk, pay careful attention to prevent the drink from spilling.
You could also mix your milk and eggnog together before introducing it into the glass. This milk mixture will have a better balance of flavors.
Congratulations! You have successfully recreated a very festive eggnog latte. Enjoy it by the fire while watching a beloved Christmas movie. It’ll hit the spot; don’t worry about the drink calories.
Spice Up Your Favorite Drink With CoffeeHolli’s Nifty Tips & Tricks
- You can garnish this drink with a peppermint candy cane, chocolate shavings, sprinkles, or other Christmas-themed confections. You could also work in a little whipped cream.
- Any brand of instant coffee will do, but try to use a blend with a mild flavor. You wouldn’t want something stronger than the eggnog. This Latte requires balanced flavors for successful execution.
- Use warm water. This will help the instant coffee dissolve quicker and stop undissolved grounds fromfinding their way into your drink. It should be just warm enough for you to hold comfortably.
- Feel free to pair this drink with Christmas-themed desserts. It has the same flavor profile as traditional eggnog and should help elevate your holiday snacking experience.
- Try creating coffee ice before you start making the latte. Normal ice cubes are fine, but they could start to water down the rich flavors as they dissolve.
- Try to combine the eggnog and the milk before introducing it to your cup. The resulting eggnog mixture will be a lot more even.
- Sprinkle nutmeg atop your latte for the final touch. This will take the already rich taste of your eggnog latte to a new level.
Frequently Asked Questions
An Eggnog Latte is traditionally made with freshly brewed coffee, homemade eggnog, and whole milk. It is typically topped off with a dash of nutmeg. However, you can substitute brewed coffee for instant coffee.
Sadly, Starbucks has chosen not to include eggnog lattes in its 2023 holiday special menu. Luckily, you can make it right at home by following the steps above.
Technically, no. You see, the Starbucks Eggnog latte is a special holiday menu item that Starbucks typically releases during the holiday season. However, it will not make an appearance this year.
Sadly, the Eggnog Latte is not on the 2023 Starbucks Holiday menu. Consequently, you will not be able to find the drink at any of your local Starbucks.